ASH provides a number of surgery procedures for patients. The fully-equipped surgical suites have state-of-the-art monitoring and anesthetic equipment, and the team works diligently to integrate a comprehensive treatment plan, including pain management, to ensure patients always receive thorough and exceptional care.
ASH is the only veterinary hospital in Southwest Florida with a board-certified specialist in critical care and emergency medicine to provide the very best care for sick and critically injured patients requiring anesthesia and surgery. With safety being the number one priority, surgeons use minimally invasive techniques and a dedicated surgical nurse closely monitors each patient the entire time they are under anesthesia.
General Surgery services include:
- Abdominal and Gastrointestinal – Including foreign body obstruction, gastric dilatation and volvulus (bloat), laparoscopic prophylactic gastropexy, intestinal tumor removal, spleen removal, hernias, trauma and infections as well as laparoscopic biopsy (scope), livery surgery, including liver shunts
- Cardiovascular – Including pericardial window and patent ductus arteriosus ligation, vascular ring anomaly, cardiac tumors
- Oncologic – Including major mass removal and reconstructive surgery. The use of MRI and CT is the superior method for staging most invasive tumors
- Skin and Reconstructive – Including treatment of chronic ear problems with total ear canal ablation/ bullae osteotomy, skin grafting and treatment and major wounds
- Urologic – Including laparoscopic assisted cystotomy for bladder stone removal, kidney biopsy, and ureterostomy for urethral obstruction
- Respiratory and Pulmonary – Including treatment for brachycephalic airway obstruction, laryngeal paralysis, thoracic wall trauma, infections in the chest (pyothorax), and lung tumors
Our Surgery department is staffed by board-certified specialists, Dr. Marc Havig and Dr. Kristin Wendelburg, along with a team of experienced technicians, with specific training in Surgery.
General Surgeons at ASH:
Marc E. Havig, DVM, DACVS, CCRP
Kristin M. Wendelburg, DVM, DACVS