The Internal Medicine department focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of diseases in the gastrointestinal, urogenital, endocrine, cardiac, respiratory, immune and hematologic systems.
The Internal Medicine department takes pride in professional leadership, intensive diagnostics, state-of-the-art equipment and exceptional patient care. This involves active collaboration within the department and with other specialty services to develop a comprehensive plan for diagnosis and treatment.
Internal Medicine services include:
- Interventional radiology (Fluoroscopy)
- Endoscopy (upper and lower)
- Abdominal ultrasound
- Endotracheal washes and bronchoalveolar lavage (BAL)
- Bone marrow aspirate and core biopsy
- Ultrasound guided aspirate and biopsy
Internal Medicine conditions include:
- Endocrine diseases – Including hyperadrenocoticism (Cushing’s Disease), hypoadrenocorticism (Addison’s Disease), diabetes mellitus, diabetes insipidus, acromegaly, hyper and hypo-thyroidism, hyper and hypo-parathyroidism
- Disorders of the blood and coagulation system – Including anemias (decreased red blood cell count), thrombocytopenias (decreased platelet count), leukopenias (decreased white blood cell count), elevations in white blood cell count, congenital and acquired clotting disorders, bone marrow dysplasias, myeloproliferative diseases
- Disorders of the gastointestinal system – Including liver disease, pancreatitis, inflammatory bowel disease, protein losing enteropathy, gastric ulcers, food allergies
- Disorders of the urogenital tract – Including acute and chronic kidney disease, bladder infections and dysfunction, urinary tract stones, feline lower urinary tract disease, ectopic ureters, prostatic infections and enlargement, uterine infections
- Disorders of the respiratory tract – Including asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, bronchitis, collapsing trachea, pneumonia, diseases of the chest wall, nasal discharge/bleeding, laryngeal paralysis, increased upper airway noises
- Infectious diseases
Our Internal Medicine department is staffed by our board-certified specialist Dr. Ashley Ayoob, along with a team of experienced technicians.
Internal Medicine Department
Ashley L. Ayoob, DVM, DACVECC, DACVIM (Internal Medicine)