Orthopedic Surgery and Sports Medicine
The Orthopedic and Sports Medicine department provides treatment for disorders of canine and feline bones, joints and muscles, while veterinary sports medicine focuses on treating injuries in pet athletes and working dogs with the goal of their full return to demanding physical ability.
Although specific canine injuries, such as muscle strains and ligamentous sprains are more commonly found in working and sporting dogs, the Orthopedics team is able to maximize recovery and healing in all patients, through a close integration of surgery and rehabilitation services.
When possible, the surgeons use minimally invasive techniques such as arthroscopy and fluoroscopic-guided fracture fixation combined with physical rehabilitation modalities to maximize the patient’s rapid return to full mobility.
Orthopedic and Sports Medicine services include:
- Joint problems – Including arthroscopy for common joint problems such as cruciate ligament injury
- Knee problems – Including canine cruciate ligament repair (ACL or anterior cruciate ligament), tibial plateau leveling osteotomy (TPLO), tibial tuberosity advancement (TTA)
- Fracture repair – Including circular ring fixation and bone plating, minimally invasive fracture repair
- Osteoarthritis therapy – Including arthroscopy, joint injections and joint fusion
- Surgical correction of limb and developmental bone deformities (corrective osteotomies)
- Reconstructive – Including corrective surgeries for development deformities
- Hip dysplasia – Including total hip replacement (THR), general head osteotomy (FHO)
- Elbow dysplasia – Including arthroscopic treatment of medial coronoid and cartilage problems
- Shoulder injury – Including arthroscopic treatment of cartilage defects (osteochondrosis) and rotator cuff injuries/ biceps tendon injury
Our Orthopedic and Sports Medicine department is staffed by board-certified specialists in Surgery, Dr. Marc Havig and Dr. Kristin Wendelburg, along with a team of experienced technicians.
The combination of backgrounds in surgery and rehabilitation makes the Orthopedic and Sports Medicine team at ASH the most experienced in Southwest Florida.
Orthopedic Surgery Department
Marc E. Havig, DVM, DACVS, CCRP
Kristin M. Wendelburg, DVM, DACVS